[RC] stats - terre

I have been too busy to take an indepth look at Truman's work, but I, for one, would like to applaud him for the effort he has put into trying to make some kind of sense of what data we DO have available. If there are errors or omissions it merely proves we must all try to be more accurate in the future.

The trick, of course, is in interpreting the data. For example, people are expressing shock or outright denial at the numbers showing that the multi-days are not, in fact, being ridden slower. Possible explanations? 1)'easier' terrain? (you can jog all day and average the same speed as alternatively galloping and walking) 2)inaccurate mileage? (all the one day rides are, in fact, a little long.....).
Karen C. commented that she has seen far more treated horses at single day rides than multidays, but in the June EN she quotes the preeminent multiday rm/vet as saying that treatments (at Cuyuma) would be sent to the nearest hospital. This could explain her not 'seeing' as many....(or not!)
Of the seven equine deaths reported in the June EN, 2 of them happened at a multi-day--ie 28% of fatalities in 2002 happened at 'multiday rides' in spite of the fact that they constitute a much small percentage of ride demographics--meaning that they are more, not less, dangerous to horses....
The last two paragraphs illustrate the perils of accepting anecdotal evidence, or looking at a very small sample size (fatalities in 1 season). T analysed thousands of data to arrive at the conclusions that that data revealed; if the conclusions are inaccurate it reflects our failure to report accurately, or perhaps a historical indifference to the importance of data collection. Let's move on and try to do better.
Again, I appreciate the work Truman put into this, and the countless hours Bob Morris, Mike and Russ, and John Teeter have dedicated into trying to gather, collate, and analyse the statistics that we pour benighted ride managers present them with.

terre