[RC] Statistics on Pulls for one day rides vs multidays and regional differences - Michael Maul

John Teeter has provided a link on the Endurancenet site to Truman Prevatts statistical analysis of the pull data for the 2002 ride season.

It's at

http://www.endurance.net/whatsnew/aercstats.html

Truman has been working with AERC on this using the records from the office database. It's a very detailed statistical report.

It's been a really long time since my statistics in college so I've providing the summary below. 100 mile rides are excluded. I've talked directly to Truman about the results. This is for roughly 21,000 ride starts in 2002.

I've included my own interpretations in (). These are not Trumans and he may have other thoughts.

Metabolic pulls:

There is no difference in metabolic pull rates for multiday rides and regular endurance rides. (The strategy of conserving your horse for completing all days isn't a factor apparently. Metabolic pulls seem to occur independent of this strategy.)

There is no difference in metabolic pull rates between regions. Hot humid regions have the same metabolic pull rate as cool dry regions. (Perhaps riders in hot humid regions know how to handle this and their horses are acclimated to it.)

Lameness pulls:

There is a significant difference in lameness pull rates by region with the highest rates being in the NE and SE. Lowest were in MT and MW. Significant means up to 50% greater and 50% less. CT, SW, W were average.

There is a huge difference in lameness pull rates for multiday rides vs one day endurance rides. The pull rate for lameness at a one day endurance ride is 7 times the rate at multiday rides. The huge difference is not explainable and needs more examination.

It's nice that we can finally start using the data in our files to see what's happening and where to focus effort. I would not have expected the results Truman is finding.

I would have thought that lameness pulls dominated in W, SW, PS and metabolic pulls dominated in CT, MW, and SE. It's not true. I would have thought that multiday rides would have less MB and lameness pulls but not a huge difference.

These are just my thoughts on looking at the results of Trumans analysis.

What are other views on this from our lists?

Mike