[RC] [Guest] In the spirit of education ... our weekend with atreated horse (long) - Ridecamp Moderator

On Behalf of Patti Stedman

I thought I'd post to the gang about having our horse treated at the Flesherton 50 this weekend.

My husband and I were planning to take Finn, a 7 year old we've been bringing along carefully for a year, and Ned, my guy with a few hundred miles, to a steady eddie middle-of-the-pack completion of the Flesherton 50. This was to be Finn's first 50. He's a rangy type, we have called him Thin Finn as we've worked hard to put weight on him. Our other two horses get fat just *watching* Finn eat so much more than they do. Finn has come along great in his conditioning rides, and completed an easy 25 last month in Canada with all As and CRIs which indicated he was ready for the step up. At home, we'd stepped up the difficulty and speed of our rides, and just couldn't seem to find any holes in Finn's foundation. (Well, other than a bit of fussiness when he was asked to stand still in a group to be mounted.)

Fortunately for us, the weather had cooled a bit from earlier in the week and so it was in the 60s as we made the drive to Canada. We did not lyte before trailering as we usually do when we're traveling more than four or five hours or if it's hot. Arrived early afternoon, handgrazed the boys for a long time, and was pleased to see them both EDPP routinely.

Vetted through, and that evening's slurpies included Perform-n-Wins, as did the morning slurpie before the start. We packed up PnW-added slurpies for each vet check, and also made up the usual ketchup bottle of Enduramax/Pro-CMC/ProBis in the event we wanted to dose on trail or at vet checks.

Given that we wanted it to be a low-key ride, we tacked up as the front runners headed out, and hit the trail ten minutes after the start, walking the first half mile or so. The first 13 miles went uneventfully in about 2 hours and change as I recall. We were toward the back of the pack, as intended. Both Finn and Ned drank and ate on trail, and vetted thru with all As. Both ate well, especially Ned, who never misses the opportunity to chow down. Didn't feel the need to lyte dose with the boys doing so well, and headed out for the 10 miles to the next check.

This leg took us down off the ski slope and mostly up dirt and paved roads to a combined training barn. The morning dampness burned off, revealing a day that was probably a bit warmer than we'd anticipated. Still both boys bounced along at a respectable pace, continuing to drink and eat when they had an opportunity. We were really impressed with Finn's calm focus and willingness to go forward. Nope, not crazed or nervous, just happy to be along for the fun.

When we vetted thru at Vet Check #2, both boys had cap refills of B, and all As otherwise. The vet said, and we agreed, that both needed to eat and drink and that was what they were there to do. Both did great. Finn ate his entire slurpie, stole some of Ned's when he wasn't paying attention, then moved on to some grass, someone else's hay, and our own hay. I checked his guts before we left. Humming and gurgling. We debated giving more lytes but felt confident that with the way the boys had eaten and so much grass and water on trail that we were doing okay. I had in my brain that we were taking the same 10 miles back to the ski slope.

We hummed along on the third leg, Finn leading the way much of the time, and realized as we climbed the ski slope that there was a loop added in that made the leg 16 miles, not 10. Still, no panic. Both boys ate, drank and climbed willingly. We were taking it easy, walking quite a bit and letting the boys pick the pace. Twice I told hubby to tell Finn to quit trotting up the hills, he was making Ned look bad. :-) We discussed several times how well Finn was doing, how much fun he was having, how proud we were that he seemed to be taking everything in stride.

The first sign of trouble was as we walked through a grassy field into the vet check and Finn didn't seem interested in eating. Ned snatched every mouthful he could as we strolled in. Not Finn. Not good.

When we arrived I was sure the boys were down, so we just stripped tack, sponged lightly and got right up to the vets. I wanted to be sure to have Finn seen pronto and for him to have as much time (and extra as we talked about when we realized the leg was longer than we'd thought) to eat, drink and rest before we headed out again. Ned was As on everything but cap refill, but Finn was B on guts, cap refill and jug (as I recall -- we don't have his card, of course). We headed back to our area to mix up slurpies.

Finn looked like he wanted to roll at that point, so we took him to a grassy area. He is the itchy type. And he rolled, got up, and then looked at the grass without enthusiasm. His rolling had caught the attention of one of the vets, and as soon as I saw him NOT digging into the grass when he got up and shook off, we headed right over for some attention.

Much attention followed, with the trailer brought over for Finn to get a ride back to camp. The thought at that point was maybe it was just a mild gas colic, or a cramp, but best for him to be back at camp for treatment in any case. The vets called ahead to camp to let them know he was on the way. Finn loaded after a few minutes, and I went on to finish with Ned, worrying the whole way.

While I was out on the last leg, Finn got eleven liters of fluid and banamine. He began to get colicy during treatment, which of course made it rough on all involved. [Many, many thanks t everyone who helped. I am always humbled by the generosity of the endurance folks. Please know how grateful we are.] By the time I returned, the worst was over, he was resting quietly, back to being bright eyed and alert, and ready to chew on a little wetted hay.

He's doing just fine now. We stayed the night as planned, watching him carefully, handgrazing him with his buddy Ned, and ensuring he stayed hydrated, eating and drinking. I turned in when he'd cleaned up two flakes of wetted hay and pooped a nice normal pile. (You can imagine that celebration as I sat watching him in his paddock in the dark, nearly falling asleep in my chair!)

We are still stunned he had to be treated but have learned several lessons on this one.

Most significantly I think, is that all our horses are different, and knowing them is key. Ned could probably get by in a ride without lytes at all. He's just that voracious about eating and drinking, and has an excellent body reserve. Our other gelding, likewise, and since Enduramax seemed to put him off eating, we'd switched to PnWs in slurpies for everyone. Fine for Ned and our other gelding, but not enough for Finn apparently. Perhaps it is his lean, mean self (yes, he gets fat in his diet, he'll be getting more now, I s'pose) that means that he doesn't have the "tank" that the other two do.

This is a different type of horse. Both Shantih and Ned will say "enough is enough" when they are getting tired. Not so with Finn, apparently. I imagine this drive, this heart, is part of what makes some of the great horses great, but it also requires a very special stewardship. I hope we are up to the task.

The incredible thing is that this horse's legs are tight, hard and cold after his forty miles, much of it on hard packed roads. I liniminted and iced Ned's slightly puffy legs, and rubbed a bit of liniment on Finn's legs just because I didn't want him to feel left out. Not so much as a windpuff. When we arrived home, he bounced around the paddock, sound as a bell and looking nothing like a horse who'd recently hit a wall.

Getting a horse treated is a humbling experience. Everyone was terribly kind, and offered ideas and their own experiences. Still, even without a smoking gun, we can't help but beat ourselves up. Both of us have shed more than a few tears over this one.

So there you go. Not all treated horses are over-ridden, or ridden by novices (while we're don't have decades of experience, we've done distance riding on five different horses successfully --mostly-- for the last eight years), or running up front, or refusing to eat and drink for miles, or being dragged along by their riders.

I know that now. Hope this serves as educational for someone. I'm leary about putting it to paper (so to speak) but I know that AERC is about educating, and I'm willing to put up my own rough weekend in the hopes it will prevent someone else's in the future.

--Patti Stedman (NY)