[RC] Lost control - LRN8554

I had a problem at my last endurance ride.  My horse just flat lost it and
would not slow down.  I fought her for the first 15 miles and I maybe slowed
her
speed from 100% to 70%.  We were pulled as it took her 35 minutes to get her
heart rate down.  I was actually so tired from fighting her I wasn't upset at
all, more like relieved.  This was her 6th race and this has never happened
before and I've ridden her since and she is back to being her obedient self.
She was raced for 2 years but I have been trail riding her for 2 1/2 years and
she is a great trail horse.  She is extremely high strung and very aware of her
surroundings but will always do whatever you ask of her.  I ride her in a
jumping hackamore which is little more than a halter with reins.  Since the
race
I've been using a curb bit on her but she hates for you to even touch it and
if you do she puts her nose up in the air which is not exactly good for
watching her feet.  So basically, I don't touch her mouth and she obeys.
During the
race I could turn her easily just not slow her down.  I probably should have
turned her around and headed into the traffic but that wasn't the direction I
wanted to go and I kept thinking she'd get back under control in a few more
miles.  I have not yet tried to slow her down into a controlled canter from a
run
with the curb.  I'm afraid of hurting her mouth and of her falling if she's
fighting me and not watching where she's going.  She's very athletic and I
trust her as long as she is paying attention.  I'm open to all suggestions.
Linda