[RC] re: heart rate vs. legs - oddfarm

In the beginning of starting a young/or older but new career horse, speed and distance should never be a factor. What is that saying.."walking for muscle, trotting for endurance, galloping for wind"? You don't, or shouldn't need a HR monitor for walking and shouldn't be doing so much to worry about the legs, either.

There really isn't that much written about training schedules for endurance like there is for marathons or triathlons. At least, not that I know of. However, you can look at a schedule for a marathon and get a pretty good idea and apply it to endurance riding. A typical 1st month for starting a 6 month marathon schedule might not even have you at 10 miles for your long run.
Slow and steady will get you ready.
I think heart rate monitors are a valuable tool for advanced and serious training schedules for both runners and riders. But the first month or two should be more about gaining flexibility, improving your fitness level and just getting into the swing of things. Then you can start to advance.

Dr. Dane Frazier said that once we have a really good base on our horse (which can take 3-4 years) our training should be harder than the actual race. That doesn't mean burn your horse out before the competition, but make the race seem like a piece of cake compared to how you been training. He  described a typical ride week being 6 days with 2 days of LSD, 1 day interval, 1 day speed play and  2 days of just riding a couple of miles. (I think that is what my notes say and of course that is NOT set in stone) Recovery is of utmost importance because we are stressing all systems (cardio, bones, and muscles) and they must have recovery in order to be fitter and stronger.

Makes sense to me. I can remember Tuesday nights at the track for speed work and our weekly workout schedules. I dreaded Tuesday nights and was always exhausted Wednesday mornings. I wanted to burn the schedule by Thursday.  But come race day, the race itself seemed a lot easier than a month of track days! Of course, the beer truck helped, too.
Man, those were the days when there was always a big ol' beer truck after a race. You ran in the heat and humidity, slammed a few (several) beers before 8:30 am and slept through the awards. Go out to breakfast, stuff your face and go home to pass out for the rest of the day. Ahhh, to be young and so stupid (but slim) again!  :)

Lisa Salas, The Odd farm

PS. I really, really REALLY hate not being able to respond to individuals on RC. I understand the blocking of e-mail addresses but I still hate it.