[RC] - rrohwer Rohwer

--- On Mon 06/23, Randy H Eiland < renegade12@xxxxxxxx > wrote:

QUESTION TO DISCUSS: Do you think 2 vet checks per 50 miles works
and what do you think of the location of 17 miles - 34 miles for the vet
checks?

At Fort Howes this year there were two vet checks, each 60 minutes.  It was nice as some times those 30 minute holds just don't give you time to vet, get feed in the horse and take a little time for rider maintenance too.  60 minutes felt very luxurious.  Although not sure I would like to be at an out check for that long.  It also just so happened that there were three loops, a 15, a 20, and a 15.  So that worked out well.
But also must account for the fact that every ride is different, loops can not always be just right to make having only 2 holds work well.  I think the number of holds just needs to be flexible so that RM's can set the ride up so that it is as efficient as possible.  If setting vet checks a certain points that might mean needing more vets to cover out checks that normally would not be necessary.

Becky R. - Montana