[RC] heart monitor training rates? - Joslyn Seefeldt

Hi:  Newbie question -
I have recently begun using a heart monitor for training rides.  I can see how it can really help my training.
Here's the question - According to the literature I received with the monitor, I should aim to get my horses heart rate between 120- 140 and keep it there for 3 -5 miles.  We are doing 8 mile training rides.
Today I read that anything above 100 is verging on anaerobic and 140 is too high!
Help!
I am riding a 6 year old in his first year of training.  We've done 2 novice and 1 25 competitive, placed 4th.  His pulse tends to run high, about 11 at rest.  I am trying to see if further conditioning will drop that.
Thanks for your help.
Joslyn.