[RC] FW: You think you have a problem when........ -

Mom wanted me to post this for her.
Katrina

--- On Mon 06/23, Mary Mosshammer < mmosshammer@xxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Subject: You think you have a  problem when........

You Know You Have A Problem When..........

Managing the new Winding Stair Endurance Challenge this yearturned into a
greater "challenge" than I ever expected. After almost 30 years of managing
rides I've learned to expect almost anything but I never expected everything"
at one ride.

In short:

You think you may have a problem when two weeks before the ride a new park
ranger revokes permission to use your designated trail and you have to refigure
all the trail around camp.

You think you may have a problem when two days before the ride a vet cancels.

You think you may have a problem when the day before the ride you discover all
of the ride entry forms are 100 miles away at your house.

You think you may have a problem when pleasure riders come in at 2:00 on Friday
afternoon and ask if the paper plates that were used to mark the 100 mile trail
are supposed to be stacked in neat pile along side the trail instead of hanging
from the trees.

You think you may have a problem when a vet gets lost on the way to the first
vet checkand actually ends up in another state before turning around and
stealing the ride photographer's map. (Sorry Vivian)

You think you have a problem when the truck with the bottled water for the
rider's doesn't make it to the vet check until after all the horses have left.

You think you have a problem when your 100 milers, after back-tracking to wait
out a rain shower, haven't made it to the half-way point in 14 hours.

You KNOW you have a problem when all hell breaks loose and lightening strikes
IN the field that you are having your vet check in.

You Know you have a prblem when you have to call the park ranger and local
sheriff to stop traffic so that the 60 mile horses can be loaded into trailers
in the middle of the road to be taken back to camp safely.

And You DEFINATELY KNOW you havea problem when your head vet has to walk back
down the trail on foot in the rain after dark to find the last rider. (Sorry
Charise)

I cannot adequately express my gratitude to volunteers, vets, and veteran
riders who all pulled together to save our butts from disaster. No one was
hurt, only one horse required treatment but was fine the next day, and almost
everyone agreed on our compromise methods of placing the ride.

Next year we will make a bunch of changes and hope the lord does too!

Many Thanks,
Mary Mosshammer

P.S. See what you missed out on Becky! (Visions of Horsethief Canyon)