Re[2]: [RC] heart monitor training rates? - Bill Johnson

Hello Truman,

 I would like you (and anyone with experience) to look at this (heart rate
 data in Acrobat format), it's 231k:  http://www.prezence.com/deaddog.pdf
 I  am pretty sure the whole list does not want to download it. It's a 25
 mile ride at Dead Dog Creek.  Page  one is the first loop, page two is
 the second loop.

 The zone markers have NOT been reset for a horse, so please be aware
 of that.

 The  horse  is  18 years old, 1150 pounds, 17h TWH Stallion. This is
 his   best   ride   to  date (He finished fifth overall, with a BC).
 Conditions  were  very (first loop) to extremly (second loop) muddy.
 Mud caused me to pull him on sunday.

 His subsequent  two rides (last weekend) I DQ'd on saturday (I over-rode
 him,  got  him  too hot and he would not come down) and had to fight
 him  sunday  from  repeating  his  saturday  performance,  so we did
 complete, but did not place.

 When  you say max heart rate of 210 - 220, what do you base that on?
 Size?  Weight?  Breed?  I have had this guy over 200 on hill sprints
 but  always back down immediately. I consider 200 the emergency slow
 down zone. Any thoughts?

 I am still very very much in the learning phase.

 Thank you in advance

 Bill Johnson
 bill AT prezence.com
 any comments welcome.

Monday, June 23, 2003, 4:05:03 PM, you wrote:

TP> I think it is pretty well accepted that 150 is still aerobic but that is
TP> probably the when they start crossing over. The other thing about an HRM
TP> you have to be able to separate the excitement contribution from the
TP> work - this is particularly true in some horses.

TP> The horses max heart rate is about 210 to 220. I like to train at short
TP> stretches at 170 to 180.

TP> Truman

TP> rrohwer Rohwer wrote:

    I have recently begun using a heart monitor for training rides.  I
    can see how it can really help my training.
    Here's the question - According to the literature I received with
    the monitor, I should aim to get my horses heart rate between 120-
    140 and keep it there for 3 -5 miles.  We are doing 8 mile
    training rides.
    Today I read that anything above 100 is verging on anaerobic and
    140 is too high!
    Help!
    I am riding a 6 year old in his first year of training.  We've
    done 2 novice and 1 25 competitive, placed 4th.  His pulse tends
    to run high, about 11 at rest.  I am trying to see if further
    conditioning will drop that.

One of the first things you need to learn about the heart monitor is
that every horse is and pretty much will be different.  I have a 15 yo
mare that has been doing 50's for 7 years now.  If you saw her heart
rates you would freak out.  She typically runs about 20 beats higher
than most horses.  I have learned that I don't even consider slowing
down until the monitor is pushing 180 and often times see it
higher.  Sometimes it really alarms me.  But I have also learned that
if I were to freak out at 140 we would never go anywhere.  140 is
right around her slow steady trot on level ground, around 160 is her
fast steady trot on level ground and she can keep that up for miles.
I know this kind of sounds insane, but the horse does well and has
never had any metabolic problems.  She's just a goer.

So, ride your horse like you have been doing.  Get a feel for what is
normal.  If you are climbing a hill and the horse is puffing a lot,
slow down.  I have learned that where I pay most attention to my
monitor is coming into a vet check.  Watching it come down, then am
able to get right to the P&R station when she is ready.  That way you
don't have to keep bugging the P&R people to check your pulse.

Good luck,

Becky R - Montana & RS Picara - resting pulse around 48, have seen it
up to 200 (youch) but drops like a rock at the vet checks - pulse that
is.  Smiley emoticon

--
Best regards,
Bill                            mailto:bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx