Re: [RC] heart monitor training rates? - Truman Prevatt

I think it is pretty well accepted that 150 is still aerobic but that is probably the when they start crossing over. The other thing about an HRM you have to be able to separate the excitement contribution from the work - this is particularly true in some horses.

The horses max heart rate is about 210 to 220. I like to train at short stretches at 170 to 180.

Truman

rrohwer Rohwer wrote:
I have recently begun using a heart monitor for training rides.? I can see how it can really help my training.
Here's the question - According to the literature I received with the monitor, I should aim to get my horses heart rate between 120- 140 and keep it there for 3 -5 miles.? We are doing 8 mile training rides.
Today I read that anything above 100 is verging on anaerobic and 140 is too high!
Help!
I am riding a 6 year old in his first year of training.? We've done 2 novice and 1 25 competitive, placed 4th.? His pulse tends to run high, about 11 at rest.? I am trying to see if further conditioning will drop that.
?
One of the first things you need to learn about the heart monitor is that every horse is and pretty much will be different.? I have a 15 yo mare that has been doing 50's for 7 years now.? If you saw her heart rates you would freak out.? She typically runs about 20 beats higher than most horses.? I have learned that I don't even consider slowing down until the monitor is pushing 180 and often times see it higher.??Sometimes it really alarms me.? But I have also learned that if I were to freak out at 140 we would never go anywhere.? 140 is right around her?slow steady trot on level ground, around 160 is her fast steady trot on level ground and she can keep that up for miles.? I know this kind of sounds insane, but the horse does well and has never had any metabolic problems.? She's just a goer.
?
So, ride your horse like you have been doing.? Get a feel for what is normal.? If you are climbing a hill and the horse is puffing a lot, slow down.? I have learned that where I pay most attention to my monitor is coming into a vet check.? Watching it come down, then am able to get right to the P&R station when she is ready.? That way you don't have to keep bugging the P&R people to check your pulse.
?
Good luck,
?
Becky R - Montana & RS Picara - resting pulse around 48, have seen it up to 200 (youch) but drops like a rock at the vet checks - pulse that is.? Smiley emoticon
?

GIF image