Re: [RC] Advice on Dealing with "Strange" Dogs - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

Frankly, from what I see on Ridecamp, I'd rather deal with wild dogs and truly feral dogs than with domestic dogs gone wild from lack of training. Ours are obviously much smarter and know when to call it quits. Sometimes in the desert we will find ourselves crossing a territory where one of the packs has pups denned. We will have a couple of pack members follow us somewhat to the sides barking to let the others know where we are until we leave the territory. Even the farm dogs will bark when you are crossing their property (no fences, no roads, just dirt paths that go right past the farmers' front doors so close that you can watch their television at night) and then quit to go back to their guard posts. As for attacking randomly, there are usually a zillion little kids around, baby chickens, ducks, geese, donkeys, water buffalo, you name it. If one of the farm dogs even so much as touches one of the kids or livestock, it's dead immediately so there are rules to be followed. These dogs will die of starvation rather than kill poultry.... I've seen it. It's not pretty, but then a lot of reality isn't and we are talking about a level of poverty here than virtually no one in the US other than possibly the homeless can comprehend. Farmers here can't afford to neuter their dogs and have no one to do it anyway. They can't afford to vaccinate them either. Any money goes on something important like school books or seed. They have plenty to eat and not much else. Most of the TV sets are cheap, old black and whites that have been given away by wealthier families and repaired for the past 15 years.

Nope. Not the same at all.

Maryanne
Cairo, Egypt