Re: [RC] [AERC-Members] What newbies want to know/horse deaths - DVeritas

In a message dated 6/18/2003 10:23:45 AM Mountain Daylight Time, bratcat91@xxxxxxxx writes:

In my experience there is no amount of reading material, videos, convention lectures, etc. that can prepare riders to recognize every possible problem they may encounter.

    I've said before, I'll say it again, to make endurance horses AND endurance riders, an endurance ride must be entered and successfully completed.
    The things that horses and riders learn during the haul, at basecamps, on the trails, at vet checks, etc. just can not be duplicated on conditioning/training rides.
    The best-conformed horses, if unable to deal with all that going to endurance rides entails, will have to find another line of work.
    Same for the riders who want to "do endurance"....you just gotta go out there and find the endurance rider inside you....it's there.  It really is.
    And, if for some reason, a rider discovers something that has yielded in an unsuccessful effort ON THAT DAY, that's one of the things that goes into making an endurance rider, or an endurance horse.  Identify the problem, regroup all that emotion, and press on.
    Endure.
    :^) Frank