Re: [RC] [RC] Fw: [AERC-Members] Horse Identification - Truman Prevatt

These chips have been around for quite awhile. They were first introduced in "electronic" badges at least 10 years ago. There is a code and a transmitter on the chip. The transmitter gets its power from a signal transmitted by the reading devise, comes on and transmitts the code which is read.

The advances in these things is so far along that Walmark is going to use a variant to track inventory. They will be introduced in charge cards in the future to replace the magnetic strip. If there wasn't such a replace cost for the readers they would already be in the credit cards. They are cheap and there are a lot of makers. It would actually be pretty easy to have a chip with specific format and specified code made so you could have multiple horses with the same code - if that was your desire. There goes your ID capability.

So as usual there are ways around this system and for someone wanting to cheat it might be worth the investment.

Those want to cheat will find a way. I don't see this is any better than a good picture ID of your horse you get when your horse gets a number.

Truman

Laurie Durgin wrote:

Tattos can fade,our Tb has a half letter, still trying to figure it out. Plus they are easy to alter. Can't alter a chip/only remove it.Well,maybe my son could alter it.Laurie/Rascal/HOney/Scout