[RC] Stupid Question - Yearling and Bug Spray - Tamara Taylor

Hello list,

Thank you all so much for your tips and support! I'm learning a lot.

So I tried it out today. I took Amos into the roundpen with halter and long
lead. I kept his head/eyes toward me while I sprayed water on him on the finest
mist with the same sprayer I use for fly spray. I held the sprayer close to my
body and low. I followed him as he sidestepped and backed up. When he stood
still for a couple of sprays I would stop spraying and praise him verbally and
with his favourite scratches.

Now I still have a couple of questions...This worked well for the front (neck,
shoulders, forelegs and chest) but I couldn't keep his head toward me AND spray
his back, barrell, rump, etc. Either I had to step to the side, so his head
wasn't pointed toward me, OR I had to stretch my arm out into the
threatening 'gun' position that was mentioned. Can someone suggest how to work
on the rear end of the body??

Also when he took a step back I would take a step toward him, following him. I
have previously taught him that when I step toward him he should take a step
away and respect my space. So I was wondering if my following him was
actually 'pushing' him away and thus confusing him??

Thanks a bunch you guys. This is such a great list. I also rubbed him all over
(head and legs too) with a towel. Its so much fun to get a baby ready
for 'life' by teaching them all these things at the start. Clipper and hose
advice would be appreciated too!

Tamara Taylor
Saskatoon, SK