From: "Heidi Smith" <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Deanna German" <finishis2win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Stephanie E Caldwell"
<sec@xxxxxxxx>; "Maggie Mieske" <mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Ridecamp"
<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Stallions / Mares

Ah, the sufferers of slutty mare syndrome (SMS) unite! Maggie and I have
discussed and are in agreement that mare owners have a responsibility to
control their mares' public displays of receptiveness to the degree that
they can. (If a stallion can learn not to drop, a mare can learn not to
"squat and squirt".)

Bingo.

I've handled stallions, I have no problem whatsoever with stallions. I
actually like them a lot. I don't think they're scary and I don't think
they're ill-mannered by nature. But they are ruled by their hormones.

No, they are ruled by their riders.  Or should be.  Just as the mares are.

FWIW, I grew up in a ranching operation that had almost exclusively mares.
Our mares were expected to do an  honest day's work, no matter how ready
ovulate they happened to be.  I added a stallion to that mix, and likewise
he was expected to do an honest day's work.

I liked Maryanne's description--"sex is for naked horses."  They can ALL
learn that, just as humans do.  I would hate to think (although our
culture
DOES seem to be slipping in this regard) that we would accept a world in
which we simply sloughed off sex drive as something so prevalent that we
had
sex in the streets between strangers who happened to be attracted to each
other.  It sure would clog up the work day!  Horses can be just as
educated
to the concept that there is a time and a place, and work ain't it!

Heidi