From: "Deanna German" <finishis2win@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Stephanie E Caldwell" <sec@xxxxxxxx>; "Maggie Mieske"
<mmieske@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2003 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Stallions / Mares

Stephanie,
Maggie and I have been having a nice private conversation since our RC
posts. Turns out we agree more than we disagree.

on 6/13/03 11:25 PM, Stephanie E Caldwell at sec@xxxxxxxx wrote:
IMO I think that Stallions should be marked. My mare is very well
behaved,
but she's got some kind of odd effect on stallions. Even very well
behaved
stallions tend to forget their manners. I've ridden extensively with
three
and they all had major manners problems just over my mare, in fact they
were
used in beginners lessons! I know that my horse has "special needs" and
keep my mare the heck away from studs, period! It's nice to know without
having to inspect the horse whether or not we can go around them.

Ah, the sufferers of slutty mare syndrome (SMS) unite! Maggie and I have
discussed and are in agreement that mare owners have a responsibility to
control their mares' public displays of receptiveness to the degree that
they can. (If a stallion can learn not to drop, a mare can learn not to
"squat and squirt".)

I go back to who's going to get hurt if a breeding occurs between mounted
horses. The mare rider. So the yellow ribbon just gives us another piece
of
info. No use inviting trouble.

I've handled stallions, I have no problem whatsoever with stallions. I
actually like them a lot. I don't think they're scary and I don't think
they're ill-mannered by nature. But they are ruled by their hormones. And
they are a novelty since there are so few of them. (Just be nice and
please
tell us who you are.)

I do think a hot pink ribbon for a mare in heat or one who is slutty is
nice idea as well at least if it is known that a stallion is in the
vicinity.

Let's see... My mare needs Red and Pink then? LOL I've never heard of
putting pink for mares.

It's a funny thought, but not such a bad idea, IMO. Jinnifer has other
thoughts for my mare; I think it's best I just hide from her before the
ride. She told me she has a hot pink stock marker!

I believe that mares are more of a threat, though.

I think mares are more of a kicking threat. Different than the danger
presented from being mounted on a mare during a breeding.

This mare backed up just to kick my mare, she kicked twice.... but if it
had
happend at a ride you better believe I'd have been alot more upset that
horse backed up just to kick me.

Well, you better be prepared for this to happen at a ride. I know of three
mares who I wouldn't put it past them to do exactly as you describe. Two
of
them are marked, one isn't, but that mare has a reputation of being
hateful.
You just have to ride defensively and always be on the lookout for
potentially dangerous situations and don't put yourself or your horse in
them.

I think that mare's should be marked, they're much more prone to kciking
IMO
than stallions and I've never been hurt by a stud.

My mare doesn't kick, should she be marked? Besides being marked with hot
pink. >g<

Actually, I prefer to ride and camp in the company of other mares. I like
them and my mare pays absolutely no attention to them. (They're not boys.)

My mare's sire is THE sweetest boy -- until it's time to breed. He's quite
agressive with the mares. I'd hate to be pinned up there if an otherwise
sweet boy decided it was time to breed. If he's marked, I'll be as far
away
as I can so it won't be an issue.

If my horse got kicked at a ride and kicked/attacked the other horse
who's
fault would it be?

It depends. I would think that the instigator would normally be MORE at
fault, but any kicker shares the blame. There's a rider at many ofthe CTR
rides I go to who writes BITCH KICKS on her mare's haunches and puts a big
red bandana on her tail. I think she also puts a red ribbon in her
forelock.
This mare also "warns" quite frequently, but her rider is quite capable of
controlling her. However, if a rider chose to ignore all of those signals
and rode up on her and the mare backed up to kick, who's at fault? Who was
the instigator? Who's the instigator if you've been forewarned?

Communication is a beautiful thing. BTW, there have not been any incidents
involving the horse I just described. As I said, the rider is very
capable.

I may not have made a ride, yet, but my horse wasn't well behaved enough
for
her to come out. I know that there's a learning curve, but if your horse
is
a chronic biter or kicker why bring them to rides?

I don't know the answer to this one, just that they're out there and one
must simply keep one's eyes open. I've never felt that a kicker threatened
my safety, I just stay clear of them and the ones I know of stay clear of
everyone else too.

Just my 2 cnets.... But my mind might be frozen, I've got ice on my leg,
wrenched knee, bruised ribs, sore shoulder, and a killer headache... I
know
tha ground's getting farther away!

Take care of yourself. A fall for any reason sucks.

Deanna