Re: [RC] [RC] Stallions / Mares - Stephanie E Caldwell

I truly don't think it's necessary for every stallion to have a yellow
ribbon in his tail.  However, to each his own and I will respect a ride
manager's request to use one if they feel it's necessary.

IMO I think that Stallions should be marked. My mare is very well behaved,
but she's got some kind of odd effect on stallions. Even very well behaved
stallions tend to forget their manners. I've ridden extensively with three
and they all had major manners problems just over my mare, in fact they were
used in beginners lessons! I know that my horse has "special needs" and I
keep my mare the heck away from studs, period! It's nice to know without
having to inspect the horse whether or not we can go around them.

I do think a hot pink ribbon for a mare in heat or one who is slutty is a
nice idea as well
at least if it is known that a stallion is in the vicinity.

Let's see... My mare needs Red and Pink then? LOL I've never heard of
putting pink for mares.

I believe that mares are more of a threat, though. My mare is very well
behaved, but I got kicked and thrown because of the kick tonight because of
someone elses mare. My horse got kicked twce and I got it full force on the
shin, I have a full hoofprint on my shin. This mare backed up just to kick
my mare, she kicked twice. And my mare's not supposed to whirl around and
kick her back? Tonight's incident was the mare's first ride and I should
have been more careful, but if it had happend at a ride you better believe
I'd have been alot more upset that a horse backed up just to kick me. The
owners response was to get off and tear the horse up with a whip. I think
that mare's should be marked, they're much more prone to kciking IMO than
stallions and I've never been hurt by a stud. And, shall my mare get kicked
at a ride she will kick back, that's just a fact of life. It upset me
greatly that once I was thrown from my horse she wanted to go after the
other mare, but I was laying between them and still had her reins. I was
riding bareback so I came off pretty easy. If my horse got kicked at a ride
and kicked/attacked the other horse who's fault would it be?

I may not have made a ride, yet, but my horse wasn't well behaved enough for
her to come out. I know that there's a learning curve, but if your horse is
a chronic biter or kicker why bring them to rides? My horse used to kick, a
few months of working with her and now she only kicks if kicked. She had to
have manners or I'd have hurt someone else.

Just my 2 cnets.... But my mind might be frozen, I've got ice on my leg, a
wrenched knee, bruised ribs, sore shoulder, and a killer headache... I know
tha ground's getting farther away!

Steph