From: <katmoss@xxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] completion awards (long)

I have been biting my tounge but I can't any longer. I need to vent and if
I step on anybody's toes or offend anyone I'll apologize right now.
How many of the people that are complaining about the completion awards
have actually been a ride manager?
I have helped my mother put on endurance rides since I was 5 yrs old. I
helped tie ribbons, I helped make completion awards even at that age. I
remember five kids having to eat soup for a solid month because that was all
we could afford after putting money into the ride. I remember having ceramic
raccoons literally all over the house because we painted them ourselves for
completion awards. I have had to spend 6 months sewing coolers and rump rugs
and sponge bags and neck coolers. (You can't do anything with a ceramic
raccoon except put it on a shelf, but we put our blood sweat and tears into
making somthing that we thought people would enjoy.) So, they aren't
t-shirts. Big deal. There is a lot of personal pride in giving out something
that you made, rather than having a t-shirt made. I am not belittling those
that do have t-shirts made. I love all of my t-shirts and have worn most of
them out. I'm just saying that some people can't afford that.
More importantly why is this even being griped about. In all of my 24
years of experience with endurance racing almost every rider that I have
talked to said they did it for love of the sport, not awards. I don't need
an award to remember my accomplishments. I remember the first 100 I did when
I was 12 every time I hear Monte Mitts tell how I fell asleep on my horse
and he had to come back and find me. I remember The first time I did the 100
at the Houston Hussle and on the last loop the vet came out and met us half
way and gave me his shirt because I was cold (17 yrs). And that same year I
was the only person doing the 100 at dry creek cattle call, having to go out
on the final loop in a thunderstorm so bad that I couldn't even look down
the road I just burried my face in my horse's neck and trusted that he knew
what he was doing. (I also almost got arrested on that loop because we were
on country roads and once the rain stopped my mom gave me some dry clothes
and a sheriff pulls up and wants to know why there were people out in t
he middle of the night changing clothes on the side of the road ( one of
them being a minor); and finished it with my best time to date.)
I remember all of these rides and more and I don't need some award to
remind me of it; although I do use most of my awardsand they do remind me. I
don't go to a ride with expectations of what I am going to win, I go because
I love the sport.
The point I'm trying to make is that first and foremost you should ride
because you enjoy/love/are addicted to the sport. Secondly, don't criticize
others for doing something if you haven't tried it yourself. Lastly, you
don't how much personal effort has gone into these awards sometimes, so
don't get mad because its not a t-shirt or something that you wanted. Think
of it as a bonus, the real reward was crossing that finish line.
Sorry, hope I didn't make too many people mad I just needed to vent.
ITB (In the bond),
Katrina Mosshammer
AERC# 5763