Re: [RC] Suggestions for conditioning when I have no saddle! - Ibiteraaarr

Karen,
What about doing some lunge lining for Mazzie? I lunge Commander for warm-ups
and warm-downs, but not excessively. My old riding instructor told me a long
time ago that too much lunging will start to mess up the horse's hips and back
legs for pushing around a circle as opposed to straight travel. I'm not sure
exactly how true this is, but I'm sure not going to be the one to test that
theory!
Also, I read on here that someone used to just tack up and run along side. I've
done this a couple times, both in full tack and in just his halter and lead
rope and gone jogging with him. I'm not sure if you want to push anything
super-hard physically since your accident, but if you feel you could make a
short distance, try it.
One final suggestion, if Mazzie is trained to drive is ground-driving. Run two
lunge lines or long pieces of rope to either side of the bridle and stand as
far back or close behind your horse as you are comfortable with and slightly
off to the side. If she's been trained to drive, she'll pick up the cues with a
little coaxing once she understands what you're asking her to do. I use this
with Commander to teach him to pay better attention to me and my cues, and
since I'm not at his head to lead him directly, he has to solely rely on my
guidance though he can't see me. You can do this with a saddle by running the
lines through the stirrups, or you can do it without until you get your saddle
in, just take care not to let the lines get too low. Hope this helps!
Welcome back and best of luck!

Liz and Commander