[RC] stallions, kicking - Ed Kilpatrick

i always get miffed at someone who does what that guy did, yell out watch it, stallion coming through, like the rest of us should just yield right of way to some bozo with a horse that is not in control.  like heidi said,  it is the rider's responsibility to control their horse, regardless if it is a stallion, mare or gelding.  if you are smart, you know if your horse is a control problem, so get them under control, dont wait until you get into a crowd of other horses and riders to announce it.   i have been to several rides and discovered a well behaved horse ahead of me in line was a stallion,  just blending in with the other horses. thats the way it should be.
as for the kicking issue,  it is just a good idea to give plenty of room between you and the next horse.  most seasoned horses are pretty reliable and put up with a lot out on the trail.  occassionally, even the best of them might have a reason to kick, i.e. some strange horse rushing them from behind.  cant tell you how many people have ridden right up behind me, then asked, does your horse kick?  i just tell them, "ITS A HORSE!"        ed