[RC] Omni's LD Adventures - Roger Rittenhouse

After all the past LD bashing, I was not going to post any reports on the
rides we have completed this year. However, after this past weekend I
figured why not.

Those who have 'problems' with LD riders and racers just delete. Based on
facts proven by the statistics, all the so called problems are imagined.
There is no real problem with LDs. So much for my politically incorrect
statement.

A short background. As many may recall, Omni and I had a major fall at a
ride in Jan 02. It has taken us over a year to get back in the game. We are
greatly improved but still have issues.

This is a report on 4 LD rides for 2003. We did one in  Sept 02 but it was
a major bust for both of us . We finished but just by luck.

MILLION PINES. My plan here was to complete, slow and steady. I dont have
the finish time but it was over 4 hrs for sure. He went well and we both
had no problems during or after. I think we were almost at the end like
48th or?? Card is not readable. As usual Westly put on a great ride well
marked and super vets. So after this success I sent in the entry for the
next rides Liberty Run 25/25 (yes a 2 day LD) and the KHP Pyramid.

LIBERTY RUN. We arrived on Fri. since we were doing the LD, I felt he did
not need the extra day to recover from the road trip. Day one was the
difficult loop. We took our time on the 15 mile loop. On loop 2, the 10
mile FLAT lake loop, we picked up the pace. A funny thing happened on that
loop. I ran into Howard and Spirit about 1/2 mile out. He was on his first
10 mile loop of the 50 miler. We had a blast, cantered most of the way.
There is a picture on the webshots of both of us, taken by Becky Silver.
Howard wanted to hold hands. I told him he was NUTS - but we all know that.
I figured that picture would end up on the cover of EN. Had a good run,
took 41 minutes to ride with completion in in 18 minutes. We ended in great
shape in 44th place. A good ride. Ready for day 2. I iced his legs and kept
walking him about during the night.
LR day 2. I planned to pickup the pace on this ride. The first loop is easy
and fast.We made great time. He was really stronger. So he may make a good
multiday horse? We cantered the 10 mile loop. IF I did the math correctly
he did it in 3:51 ride time for 11th place. I missed TT because I was
fooling around at the crew area. I walked up and all the riders who I came
in with were in line. Rats. But we had a great ride
Both days he had As and equal CRI except on day2 at the finish with a
52/56.  Nothing wrong with either of us. We did a short work last Sat and a
stronger longer fast work on Sunday. I wanted to add some stress. I
normally ride on Wed after the weekend ride. This time I waited until the
weekend and wanted to work 2 days. We did a slow easy 5 miles on Wed this
past week.

KHP  Pyramid. My plan here was to TT. I felt he was ready to run a bit
more. We did a major warmup before the start. Trot and canter sets on the
track. The trail was muddy and sloppy. Overcast and cool but humid. A good
course for him. First loop was 15 miles. We took off in the lead, but let a
few crazy's go ahead until it was safe to move up. I decided since he was
stronger this time, to ride with the snaffle bit. I switched to the bitless
bridle for the second loop.
We found it was better to slow canter in the soft dirt and slop mud (sort
of like going in sand)  and gallop on the  roads. When the mud was too much
we walked. Dont think we trotted more then 5 miles. He went  I-hr 45 min on
this loop. Pulsed through in 11 minutes and all A.  I asked Mat Frazier,
what he thought if I wanted to move him out, no problem looked great. We
left in 8th place. Canter and trot most of the 10 mile loop in 56 minutes.
Took 13 minutes to pulse down and vet through. We were posted in 8th place.
Time was 3:05 This was not his fastest LD (25) but it was great for the
trail conditions. The 50 milers did it faster.(5hr?)

Due to some - lets see how to say this PC,  a few problems with loops and
trail (other riders) we  ended in 6th - I think??
The problems were 'resolved' but there was some in-equity.

Of course we stood for BC. Heck I rarely ever make TT and with a super
completion with all A and a 52/52 CRI. I had to try and 'show' him.
Appears all the training with in hand presentation really paid off. He
looked great. Many riders have no showmanship skills. I watched the trot
out. Good horses looked bad because of a poor presentation. However that
was good for us hehehe.
We were 7 minutes off 1st and 220 pnd 5 under max weight. Vet score was
very good at 452.5 He did have a B for back - all the running and the
sloppy-muddy trail took a toll.
He took BC. A real great job. The ride presented this great cooler and a
metal medallion from The Pyramid Society.
This was a great ride. I never get to go here because it normally is on the
same weekend as the OD. I go to the OD to ride or work. This year they are
a week apart. Next year they will be at the same time. Think we have to go
back for the 50 at KHP.
With-standing the 'problems' that occurred, I accomplished my goal to make
TT, the BC was just  an extra reward for riding him to his ability for that
day on that trail.

So he did well. I was used a bit and I think he did better.
Now its on to 50 milers?? Maybe JDs SC MIDNIGHT 50?

Here is a kicker. The Pyramid Society gives a award to an Egyptian blood
line. While Omni is 1/2 Shagya and half Arab, his dam is Magic Shadow AHRA
213832 - full Egyptian. I dont know IF he would have qualified or not being
only half, but if I would have indicated that on the entry he may have won
the Arabian Show saddle. My luck?

So that is our ride 'story' to date. I posted pictures to the below webshot
link - look in album' Omni's Ld Adventures
See not too long -easy report- we went to a few rides - we rode some we
raced some we finished and we did well and --- we had fun.. got  completion
awards...what else is there?
Roger R

ps Maggie and Malik did great.

V-MAX Equine HRM