Re: [RC] Pyramid Challenge - Maggie Mieske

Nelson thought his little blurb was pretty cute.  He never gets on the computer!  I wondered about all those spelling questions while I was fixing breakfast!!  :)  He just couldn't wait!
I have been trying to figure out how to tell this story or if I want to tell it...it was a special ride.  I didn't think anything could top my first 100 but this one is right up there along with it.  I just don't think I can write it as a "report" or even a story.  It was truly a ride in which I was enriched with friendship and love, sportsmanship and teamwork in ways I have never imagined in my wildest dreams.  I just am not sure if I can impart any of that to those who were not there though I promise to really try.  Because if my impossible dreams can come true, so can yours!
Though I wish to offend no one's religious or non religious sensibilities, I have to say that this is one ride in which God had a huge hand in it for me.  How is it that people who have never met (well, except on Ridecamp!) can go so far from home, camp next to each other and pick up a friendship as if it had always been?  Divine intervention in my book, folks!!!  How is it that one can go so far from home (ok, Kentucky isn't THAT far for us but it FELT far on Thursday morning!) and discover no only new places, new friends and new ways of doing things but even a new sense of self?  How cool is that?
I did place 4th much to my very honest surprise.  The course was MUDDY and scary.  The grassy parts were slippery and muddy under THAT.  We had a 4 foot stream of fairly swift water to cross.  It was NOT an easy ride by any means.  Yet my dear horse never faltered for a moment.  He even lost a shoe on the 3rd loop and kept right on as if nothing had happened.  (Thank God for tough feet!).  I had the pleasure of meeting, riding and visiting with several folks out on the trail, many of whom I will not be able to remember first and last names (deepest apologies!) and some I will never forget whether it be their laughter or kindness or a pat on the back when I needed it.  I will try to include as many as possible in the story that I will try to write.  The run off with Chris Frame for first heavyweight is a thrill I will not soon forget as Nelson has told me many times I have never asked Malik for more and though I know we didn't go all out, the speed and adrenaline rush of "racing" for 1/4 mile to the finish is a high I will not soon forget.
And yes, I did win BC...since I was surprised to have even been top ten, the BC was like getting all the holidays in a year in ONE moment of time!  And THEN we were presented to the audience during the awards presentation of the Egyptian Event in the main arena that evening.  WOW!!  I was self conscious.  Who wouldn't be?  But Malik made me so proud.  How could I feel embarrassment or shame or anything other than love and joy at having the privilege to show all these people what a wonderful horse I ride?  He was without a doubt the best behaved horse at the presentation of the awards...we received a medallion (Egyptian Event champion) and Malik stood calmly though he refused to stand in front of the blue background and the presenter and photographer had to come to HIM.  Every other rider had to dismount in order to receive their award and have their photo taken because their horse would not stand still.  I was so proud of him, especially after all the shenanigans of the other horses.
Anyway, my ride story will be coming...there are so many people I want to thank and recognize and I'm not sure if I am even able to do that.  Thanking EVERYBODY is an impossible task!!!
Anyway, thanks for your patience as I sort this story out in my head and figure out how to tell it without bawling my head off and without offending anyone or forgetting anyone I should mention!!
I'll be back soon!!!  Eventually.  :)
Miles of smiles!!!  :)
Maggie and Malik