Re: [RC] OT what to do with the horse droppings? - Sullivan

We had a lovely young horse come through the surgical service not too long
ago that had been treated against parasites homeopathically with DE and
the
addition of wormwood to his feed,,,,,,,,,,> So, please folks, if your bent
is towards homeopathy, please keep in mind
that the sandpaper effect of the DE probably does a better job of sanding
down intestinal mucosa than it does a heavy parasite load.  And obviously,
the other homeopathic remedy used didn't do a doggone thing to help this
horse.

Susan G

Thanks Susan for both a vet perspective and a good dose of plain old common
sense!

It boggles the mind how gullible some folks are to believe both annecdotal
stories, testimonials and
the claims (not backed up by any scientific studies), of companies trying to
push herbal remedies,
refrigerator magnet boots, and much of the nutritional supplements....

One of the popular herbal catalogs has miracle stories about horses that
were basically crippled up...then
put on remedy X and suddenly sound and a new lease on life  How surprised I
was to see a horse I used to
own (bought back by the ditzy lady who sold her to me) and the pack of lies
about how the horse had been
a 100 mile horse, crippled up with arthritis, etc, given potion whatsit and
suddenly cantering around like a baby.
Nothing was true!  I laughed my head off....

Karen