[RC] FINDING THE PERFECT HORSE! - Julia Loggins

Hi All,

I'm new to endurance riding, but finding a wonderful endurance horse has
been a journey in itself.  I joked to people that if I spent half as much
time on the back of my new horse as I did driving the freeways, driving all
over Southern California checking out prospects, I'd have a high mileage
riding year!  I must have seen a dozen horses, and I had three vetted --
they all flunked! I spent alot of time and money in my search.

I also had a horse at home I needed help with -- or shall I say a miracle?
Also an Arab, Rio had a club foot, sidebone, had been abused and had such
emotional problems that he was truly dangerous to ride, although he had a
big heart.  (Why did I buy him?  His eyes...and I didn't have him vetted,
like I should have...but, all things happen for a reason...)  I couldn't
sell him in good conscience, or even give him away!  My husband thought I'd
get killed on him, and my son thought I wanted to go into endurance riding
because MAYBE Rio would calm down after going 50 miles!

I learned how to get around on a computer solely so I could connect to the
endurance community, and hopefully get some help.  Endurance net was my
saving grace!  I began an e-mail relationship with a trainer whose ad I saw,
April Battles, and she graciously gave me advice (for free!) for months
before I decided to send Rio to her, which I did in March of this year.
That is the beginning of my miracle.

She discovered Rio was in severe pain!  He had TMJ, causing him "horse-sized
migraines," kidney pain, back pain and many other physical problems that
were at the source of his dangerous behavior.  She e-mailed me every day
detailing what she was doing with him, sending pictures and progress
reports.  It was amazing!!  He began to settle down and heal.  She also told
me about a five-year-old mare she had gotten, Rosie (aka "Softy") that she
thought was a perfect fit for me.  I flew up to meet her and April.

My three days of training with April was the most intensive and
comprehensive riding experience of my life.  I learned more from her in
those three days than I did from trainers I worked years with!  April really
knows her stuff!  She also is a nutritional expert, and taught me so much
about horse nutrition.  Her goal isn't just to sell horses, but sell
lifetime partners who can compete year after year, just getting better and
happier!

Rosie is the horse of my dreams.  She is the sweetest and sanest horse I've
ever met -- sure-footed, smart, loving -- I could go on and on, and I'm sure
over the years as I report our adventures, I will!  I am so blessed, and I
just had to tell this story.  I am very grateful that both April and Rosie
came into my life.

It wasn't possible to get Rio sound, but April helped his mind heal.  I just
donated him to a therapeutic riding academy in Vista, and they love him!  He
has always loved children, and now he spends his days with kids loving him
back.  He's also a success story.

Thanks for listening.  I am going to go hug my horse!