Re: [RC] Why T-shirts? - rides2far

I wear my t-shirts everywhere. I like it when people ask me what
"Longstreet's Charge" is (Navy blue, Angie).

Yup. First year of that design. I've traded t-shirt designs for lots of
entry fees, so I can say something I never dreamed I'd be able to say.
"I've designed much of my own wardrobe". :-)  I like it best when the
manager leaves me free to design it however I like. It never fails. Those
are the ones I see people wear the most. The ones where they say "I want
it like this" tend to be very literal...sort of like Country Music Videos
that try to have a picture to go with each word of the song. :-P

Right now I've got a real challenge designing the "Yellowhammer" t-shirt
for a first time ride this fall. The yellowhammer is the state bird of
Alabama, but it was also a nickname for the Alabama army in the Civil
War. They had a bit of yellow on their uniform and people called them
"Allabamer Yallerhammers". Now...how to convey that in a
design...probably with only one color?

I've only started to feel buried in shirts since we have more than one
person in the house competing. Two from every ride is a little much. I'd
take a $5 discount on the 2nd family entry and go with one shirt. We can
share. :-)

I've heard there's a woman here in town who will make 12 t-shirts into a
quilt for $75. I'm thinking about putting some of my favorites together.
Another good idea I saw was at Million Pines. Wesley had some *tiny*
children's t-shirts printed up. Rather than get a 2nd adult size for us,
I got a baby size and gave it to a friend who was helping us crew's baby.

It is tough to decide on awards. I've seen beginners train like crazy
living for the day they were going to get their first *real* ride
t-shirt, and then that just happen to be a ride where management gave
cups or whatever. Managers tend to give what they wish they'd receive
when they ride. I remember Nina Warren gave first place their entry fee
back one year as an award. Considering all the rides and awards she'd
gotten through the years I'm sure she'd have loved to have gotten that.
If that had been my only win ever I'd have taken some of that money and
bought something to put on the mantle.

Angie McGhee
Wildwood, GA
I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city in the world.
(Steve McQueen)