[RC] Electrolytes and 25 milers not fast. - Stagg_Newman

Diane,

If you are just doing easy 25 milers your probably do not
need to use electrolytes at all.  However, it's probably
good to get the horse into the routine, etc.

Re Truman's formaula, that's basically the mixture that
I used for Drubin in 1992 when did his 9 100s in one year
and won the National Championship.  We also added one part
magnesium oxide.  It is an economical approach that should
be quite sufficient unless one is really racing.  Today
I would probably mix that with applesause given what
we know.

BTW studies of Gayle Ecker and others who that speed and footing
(sandy or muddy) increase the need for electrolytes at least
as much as heat and humidity.

Hope this helps.

Stagg

way
Diane Conklin wrote:

The more I read about electrolytes the more confused I get. It sounds
like Endura Max is one of the best to use but....I'm only doing LD's
this year and I'm wondering if my mare even needs that since I'm not
trying to be speedy, just complete. The chance of ulcers sounds like a
big risk. I've used a little of the Farnum apple flavored electrolyte
and I've used a little of the simple recipe in a book on Endurance
(the author escapes me right now).

My mare is on 20acre pasture and gets John Lyons performance everyday.
She is a good drinker and eater at rides.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Diane & Dancer

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.