[RC] Why T-shirts? - Deanna German

Now that I have to eat crow and realize that I completely misunderstood
April earlier (I mistakenly thought she hadn't gotten a completion award), I
want to know why T-shirts are so much in demand.

As I mentioned before, I haven't been involved in this sport terribly long
(since the mid-90's), and I probably have 30 or more T-shirts. I cherish
every one of them, and will cherish all future T-shirts (knocking furiously
on wood), but I really don't mind it when I get something else. Really. OK,
I like it when I get something else. I got a mug for a ride about 7 years
ago and I love it.

So when my friend and I put on a CTR last fall, we opted to do something
different and offer soft-sided coolers imprinted with the ride graphics as a
completion award. It was the same cost as the T-shirts would have been. I
heard no complaints and several people commented that they liked them, but I
know better than to think everyone was happy. Knew that before we decided to
offer the coolers. It seems that some people really like their T-shirts.

OK, so I haven't ordered this year's award and I'm open to suggestions. I
have some ideas already. But there are around 25 rides on our club calendar
this year and I bet all or almost all will offer T-shirts, so I'm really
trying to stay away from T-shirts. Not ruling them out as an option, but
really would like to do something else.

Looking forward to the input. Respond privately so as to not clutter the
list.

Deanna (Ohio) -- OAATS sanctioned Colorific CTR RM
(for all you archives readers, it's finishis2win(at sign)columbus.rr.com)