[RC] Proud Flesh and Passing Over - Bette Lamore

I sent this a couple of days ago but it never showed up in my ridecamp mail so I
guess it got lost in the internet in the sky. Anywho I'm resending for
the info in case it can be of some help and to see if my emails are
getting through. Also, I just looked at my can of Granulex and the new
ones are white with orange writing (not green anymore) but the name is
the same.
Proud flesh is very different looking from scar tissue, which can have
hair grow back on it--- proud flesh just looks like raw meat -- it is a
neccesary function of healing whereby the tissue is granulating-- but if
it goes overboard and gets out of hand, it bcomes a mess .
Good luck with your mustang. My original message with other info is
below. PS My 30 year old gelding just passed over sometime late last
night. He was a nanny to my children and helped many of our friends
conquor their fear of horses and riding. Although he wasn't an
"endurance" horse per se, the vet said he should have died years ago--
after many tests he suspected cancer but due to his 20 something age, he
probably could not survive the surgery. Sooo we kept waiting for the
shoe to drop and like the little Everready Bunny, Durvish kept going and
going. He had such heart-- he was a true endurance horse in life. So
give your horse a hug and tell him you love him/her everyday. We were
happy we did so last night.
sent last night:
Horseman's Dream works great on little patches of proud flesh and
doesn't let the hair come in white. It has aloe vera and vitamins D and
E and who knows what else--- but it works!
For more serious bouts of proud flesh you can use Granulex (comes in a
green aerosol spray can) or if it is really serious---Panalog (as long
as it is a least 14 days from the injury-- not recommended before that)
. If the proud flesh protrudes beyond the skin line too far, you may
have to (or have your vet do it if you are squimish) slice off the
tissue so it is close to skin line. My vet gave me a few disposable
scalples and yuck!! We had to do it on Bunny and then kept compressing
it (afraid he would bleed to death). Proud flesh is just a mess of
tissue and lots and lots of blood cells. Has no nerves so it didn't even
hurt when we sliced it off--- but you do have to watch for excessive
bleeding if it is a big spot. We just had to take Bunny's off--- the
sling had irritated a few spots so much that it was really ugly and we
thought he would never heal unless we nipped it in the bud. It worked
and outside of some few patches of white (we couldn't get the bacon
grease or Horseman's Dream to many of the pressure points inside the
sling) he looks great--- we just call him our Pinto. Believe me,
cosmetics were the last thing we were worried about.
Good luck with your horse!
Bette and Bunny (Bette just took an overdue break from rebuilding her
computer---- I need a horse quick!)

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)