[RC] 2003 PAC South FEI 100, different type FEI experience - Stagg_Newman

Good to hear about the really constructive positive tone
at the 2003 PAC South FEI.  Believe there was a very similar
tone at the Biltmore FEI 100.

And totally agree with Tom that Endurance Riding
at the highest levels needs to be about much more
than just speed.  We in the U.S. need to work with
other countries to preserve a place for the tough
challenging course that are demanding of horsemanship
and horse and rider (e.g. Old Dominion, Tevis, Swanton
Pacific, Virginia City, Vermont, Biltmore when it is
muddy and/or hot humid, etc.)

It is worth noting that the FEI propsed speed criteria is faster than the
winning time
most years at Tevis or OD and this year at Biltmore.  JMO but these
are the type of classic courses that the top horses should be
competing on, particularly in light of the history of our sport
and of the history of horse and rider over long distances.

Note that FEI was impressed with the Pan Am at Vermont
in '01.   And as I understand it the '03 will also be on
a challenging course with serious climbs.  Now we have
to convince them to put the World's on a similar course.

In terms of the Certificate of Capability, we need to make
sure we preserve the condition that one way to obtain
it is to finish within 140% of the winning time.  At Biltmore
all FEI riders in the 100 met this criteria.  Note that on
a really tough ride 140% of the winning time is likely
to be close to 24 hours minus the hold times.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.