[RC] 2003 PAC South FEI 100, different type FEI experience - Tom Dean

2003 PAC South FEI 100, different type FEI experience

A couple of months, ago I wrote a letter to the FEI complaining about
the current Certificate of Capability (CoC) Requirements and how those
requirements were hurting horses and quality of PAC teams.  Since that
letter, I have talked to a bunch of riders that agree with part or all
of what I had written (it was put on Ridecamp).  Other than some of the
FEI leadership in the USA, I have found nobody that thinks the current
speed based CoC is good for our sport and most people support an
experienced based CoC.

I was told in e-mail correspondence from USA FEI officials that the USA
has tougher requirements for PAC than FEI requires and that the USA FEI
did not want horses that just "drag around the PAC".  These FEI
officials wanted only the very elite horses at the PAC.  They did not
believe the PAC was an introductory championship where riders could
learn about high level International competition.  I understood and
respected this position, but disagreed.  I felt that these positions
were exclusive, elitist and would not grow International interest in the
USA, but more importantly these positions would be harmful to the
horses.  In the stories I have heard about different FEI rides around
the USA, this attitude has crept into the FEI experience (Washoe was the
worst I heard about) and has discouraged riders to get involved in FEI.

After my Twenty Mule Team FEI experience (which I discussed in my letter
to the FEI) I was very reluctant to nominate for PAC.  But it is being
held three hours from my house and many of my friends nominated, so I
did.  I choose PAC South 100 FEI in Oreana, Id as my CoC and
demonstration ride.  What a different experience.  Dinah Rojek was the
Technical Delegate.   Her attitude was simple.  This is not an exclusive
process, but inclusive.  She and everybody there stressed that FEI was
not an elite club of the very best riders/horses.  Teresa Cross, Connie
Creech and Dinah were very strict about rule enforcement, but they did
it in an educational way instead of being FEI policeman.  At the
pre-ride vetting, the vets gave a list of things you could do better on
your paperwork (mostly whorls).  They walked all riders through the
vetting procedures, pulse gates, time in/out and vetting.  As you went
through ride day, the FEI officials/vets were constantly helping you and
telling you how, "when" you made the PAC team, things would be done at
PAC.  Though FEI vetting is much more rigid, it was a painless and
efficient experience for everybody.  At the pre-ride meeting, the ride
management/FEI/vets were focused on the message that healthy horses,
completion and that USA FEI teamwork were important.  Were told about
how the USA has lost their dominance in International not because we do
not have good enough horses, but because we are a team of individuals.
In Europe they have a very strong team concept and have become very
successful.  I was told at the meeting or by one the riders that has
ridden overseas that the French team rides together most of the ride, if
one horse is a little tired then they move that horse into middle of the
pack let it draft.  We were encouraged for the health of the horses and
to obtain the highest level of CoC completions (which helps our region's
teams) that we needed to ride with that attitude.  We were encouraged to
ride with other riders, so everybody would help everybody pull through
the ride.

This 100 has been a fast 100 in the past. The trail is excellent,
relatively flat and non technical.  Steph and Teresa toughened it up by
adding a little length and by changing the common trail back to camp.
That common trail was through a hot canyon with deep sand and much more
hilly, difficult and technical.  There were 16 FEI starters which
included several riders that have competed overseas and PACs and several
that are nominated for the 2004 WEG.  Eleven completed (69%), all within
the 12 kph and within two hours of each other.  The spring weather this
year has been extreme, and this ride was no different.  We started in
the dark (4:00 am), we had cool, very hot, rain, wind and even a tornado
warning (heard later the tornado landed 15 miles north).  Of the five
pulls, no horse required treatment.  Several of the lameness's, were
preventive rider pulls on horses that could have gone on.  There were no
serious injuries.

Though nobody seemed to like the current CoCs, everybody at this ride
seemed focused on making this the best FEI experience possible and
getting as many horse's CoC's as possible.  As Jim Baldwin explained, we
need to make the FEI experience as inclusive as possible.  The USA
International team needs every possible rider to participant.  He felt
that was very important because you do not know where the next superstar
horse/rider will come from and you do not want to discourage them at
their first taste of FEI.

I will never believe a speed based CoC qualification is a good idea.  If
International is going to grow, FEI needs to adopt an experience based
CoC/qualification process.  It would not surprise me if this ride does
not in end up with highest completion rate and CoC rate of any FEI ride
in the USA this year.  I think the attitude of Ride Management and FEI
Officials/Vets, and a fun venue made that possible.

As a side note, on Ridecamp a couple of months ago, there was a thread
about the waning interest in 100s.  At least out here in the NW, the PAC
seems to have livened up the 100 interest.  We have 100s that we did not
have last year and well attended and our established 100s are having an
increased attendance.  Also, I will never agree with the flat track
racing in the UAE and I hope over time the FEI will set a standard for
Championship race venues that will not focus on raw speed, but
horsemanship.