[RC] what did my horse teach me - Kathie Ford

Well, my horse is still teaching me!  I have five horses right now, three of which  belong to me the others my youngest daughter (oldest in college right now).

I love them all dearly and that is one thing I learned from them all.  To love.  I was a person (young kid) at one time who had a real hard time trusting and allowing any kind of "love" in my life.  I'm talking parents, siblings, friends, etc. I had some horrible things done to me when I was little.

But because of my animals (I have dogs and kitties too); but mostly my horses I've come thru a tough part of life!  My first horse Spirit is mostly responsible.  God allowed her to be used in my life to teach me how to love and be loved!  I hated myself, and trusted no one.  I swear she healed my heart!!

She also taught me compassion, inner strength, forgiveness, persistance, unconditional love, and also in a very big way...taught me how to face my fears and I had many!  One of which was going out after dark.  Even as a mom, I was afraid to go out past 7pm!  When I got Spirit that all changed cause I had to go out at night sometimes.  Now I ride at night sometimes and my husband can't believe how I've changed.  He never thought I'd be riding in a park in the dark, or want to do Tevis, or even jump out of a plane!! (skydive!)...but I did and it is because of what Spirit taught me!

Many of the traits above I was able to transfer into my family life with my children, husband, etc.  Our  horses also keep our family together and give us healthier lifestyle options.  We even found a better way of life cause we decided to move and have some land to keep them at home.

Because of my horse she made me a better person inside and out!  Inside because she healed my heart as I grew to love her more, and others.  The outside, cause I needed the exercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol...

But as I work with the other horses (all mares!) that have come into my life I have learned from them also.  And I'm still learning just by watching them interact, how they take care of each others needs no matter what the pecking order, that they will protect each other without thinking what could happen to them.  I saw them protect each other when a Mt. Lion came up my driveway.  My mare saw it first, then the others one by one.  They all stood in a row, extremely alert and tightly together.  My youngest Rosie took a step forward and the herd somehow communicated to her to stay put.  It did leave and go into the neighbors yard, but it was a very interesting reaction by them.  An example of them caring for each others needs is when I noticed on night this winter when my mare (the alpha) stood out in the rain to be next to my horse Cira (bottom of pecking order) as we had put her in her own paddock.  One other horse would pick on her at night only.  So we made her her own little spot next to the others where she couldn't be kicked or bit.  My horse could have chosen to stay dry under the overhang, but because Cira liked to be outside  even in the rain I saw Spirit with her next to the fence outside and soaking wet!  Spirit usually hates getting wet and prefers being inside when it rains.  I sensed  she didn't want Cira to be isolated.  This way she kept her herd together.  A good example of being unselfish I thought.

Boy, I wish most folks could learn and see and glean what we are so fortunate to have and learn from in these wonderful animals!

There is much more I've been taught but it would take me days/weeks/months to write it all out!

We are truly blessed to have them.  I will love them (and especially my horse Spirit) till the day I die and I will be ever grateful to her for her teaching, healing, and loving me back!

I know the soft eye look you all speak of and it is wonderful to see that in a horse especially.  No fear and complete trust.  They also say "thank you" with their eyes too!

kathie