Re: [RC] Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win Later) - KathyZ1

I've seen this phenomenon at work many times.  Many people panic and start pulling when a horse gets very forward.  Meanwhile, the horse is thinking, geeze, this hurts my mouth like the dickens.  I want out of here.  And he starts to go faster.  So the rider pulls more.  The horse fights more.  But in fact, he's not fighting to go forward...he's actually fighting the rider pulling on his bit.  That's the key piece of info there.  Once the rider wises up and releases the reins, the horse quiets down and says: Whew.  What the heck was that all about!!!
It's hard to remember that the horse is actually fighting you rather than simply not listening to you.  But more often than not, that is the case.
You might try it with those horses that it "would never work with" and you may be surprised.
I've convinced two of my friends with runaway mares to try it and it worked like a charm in both instances.
Kathy

Truman wrote:

Re: [RC] Fw: Slowing down speedy horse (Easy Early to Win Later) - Truman Prevatt

There are very few horses I can't haul in if I have to - one advantage in being a male and a HW ( we got to have one or two). But this mare was something else. It wasn't just a steady pull and it didn't seem that she was leaning on the bit to get support to go faster, it was any pressure at all. The way to get her to slow down was drop it all - let the reins go slack. It wasn't hand riding to control speed, it was dropping all contact. Worked like a charm with her. The interesting thing was the person that reccomended trying this with her was an ex-jockey. All I can tell you is it sure won't work on the other horses I've ridden.

Truman