Re: [RC] What did your horse teach you?/The Truth - DVeritas

In a message dated 6/3/2003 11:06:06 AM Mountain Daylight Time, bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

tries.  I
realize that he could learn something bad in a few tries as easily as he
could learn something good.  The responsibility is mine alone, not to make
any bad mistakes.  The burden of responsibility weighs heavily, but I think
I can do it.  I just need to be the kind of rider Banner can trust.

Barbara,
    What you've written about Banner, in my opinion, comes from the central core of truth which runs through all horses.  That you were (are) able to "go in there" and find it certainly says quite a bit about your understanding of horses.
    The "investment that matters", can never be monetary...we all know of great amounts of money spent on horses who (for whatever reason) did not fulfill the owner's dreams and the horse's ability.
    We also know of horses and riders who have achieved great things, though a small amount of money was spent in acquiring that "special horse".
    The investment that matters is the "truth" you located/recognized, understood and have found YOUR WAY of applying.
    The investment that matters is based in the emotions we as riders face, come to terms with and do not encumber the horse with until we have dealt with them, pared them down to their essential ingredients, and THEN ask the horse to "come along with us" as we learn what it will take to make our combined effort a pleasurable and safe one.
    From that investment, a "team" happens, and a life together, doing whatever, is realized.
    Thanks for your post...it was a very important one in my estimation.
    ---Frank