Re: [RC] Trailer Suspensions??? - Sisu West Ranch

I have personally never seen a trailer with no suspension.  If it were mine I would either sell or convert.  Sounds to me like an uncomfortable accident waiting to happen.

Steel springs and an evener work fine.  I used one for 20 years.  The advantage is that the evener makes the hitch height less critical.  The disadvantage is that you either have to remember to grease the shackles to prevent breakage, or if the shackles have rubber bushings you have to inspect to make sure corrosion has not frozen them.  If shackles and evener are not free to move eventually either spring or evener will break.

My current trailers have rubber torsion axles.  No maintanence to do. I did break a arm and wheel assembly off of one last year.  (considering the size of rock that was involved, I suspect something would have broken on conventional spring axles.)

While we are on te subject of axles and wheels, they need to have the bearings greased at least every two years, and the brakes checked at the same time.

Ed
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu West
2994 Mittower Road