Re: [RC] new subject - DESERTRYDR1

Ridecamp, the only place I go where I feel positively young!  At 51, most
times I attend horse events, the majority of participants are younger than me.
But not here, and not in the real ridecamps.

I still have no fear, but my 50 yr old riding buddy does.  She has taken a
few spills, but probably no more than me.  Just last weekend I got on a 5 yr
old
filly that had 60 days training last year, and hadn't been touched since.  I
was really too busy trying to get her figured out to worry if I was going to
fall off.

Fell off my old LD mare last week also.  Tried a bitless bridle on her,
decided it REALLY didn't give me enough control.  I haven't had a really bad
wreck
in a while (KNOCK WOOD.)  and don't know if it would make me more cautious.  I
try not to be stupid about riding, but can't imagine ever giving it up.  It's
what keeps me young.

Last year I decided that when I'm old, I want to be one of those old ladies
with a big sunhat who rides a mule, so I bought a long yearling.  Now THAT is
going to be fun.  People keep giving me the names of trainers who "worked
wonders with so-and-so's mule"  I keep telling them I intend to do it myself,
because then I'll know what her sticky spots are.  And they just look at me
with
that pitying look that says "Deluded, isn't she?"  I guess I'd rather go out on
a horse than any other way I can think of.

Of course I'm not that old yet...  My hero is Connie Douglas Moore (I think
is the name) Anyway, she's about 100 years old and still riding, still saddling
her own horse.  jeri