Re: [RC] As we get older . . . . . . - Mary Sutliff

I sure hope you're enjoying the walker.  Almost 7 years ago I found I
needed a new horse and decided the time was right for a gaited horse.
He was to be my retirement horse.  I found just the right horse, a Paso
Fino.  It was instant bonding but even though he was a well trained
finished horse we had our moments that first year.  The person I bought
him from had sent him to a Paso trainer in Oregon for a "tune up" before
selling him.  That trainer must have scared him to death because  it
took a year to calm him down and gain his trust.  He is now 14 and the
best horse I've ever owned.  I'm 63 and really want the security of
riding this old friend.  We now have 2 young Pasos-one born here and the
other purchased as a weanling.  Of course I want to ride them but I am
alot more anxious about mishaps than I was ten years ago.  We've sent
them both to a good trainer who understands what we want.  While my
husband and I don't ride competitively anymore we do ride long
distances, ride mountain trails and pack into the mountains for days at
a time.  I think as we age we have to give more thought to putting a
really good base on our horses.  We need to not only give the horses
good foundation training but also try to set things up so that they are
prepared for the unexpected.  Yes, I'm more concerned with the
possibility of an accident than I used to be but life goes on and we
sure don't want to finish it by living in fear.  That's not life and
when horses are a large part of your life giving them up is not an
option.