Re: [RC] new subject - Betsy O'Shea

I have been riding all my life and have now reached "retirement age". Riding
is so good for my soul, that I cannot imagine not being able to ride. My
doctors tell me not to ride because I have osteoporosis. so I always wear a
hard hat and usually a protective vest like bull riders and eventers wear. I
now have small, quiet horses instead of the TB's that were always such a fun
challenge. I still do endurance and CTR in the summer and foxhunt in the
winter.  I agree that fear is real, but can be overcome.  I had a bad
jumping  accident several years ago, and was so afraid to jump that a didn't
do it any more.  Then I got an old schoolmaster of a horse who always jumped
(no matter how much I interfered with him) and he took such good care of me,
that my fear of jumping went away, eventually.  I fact, I taught my Arab to
jump, and he is the horse who foxhunts. He loves it and never refuses a jump
either.  Another thing I do now is a lot more driving than I used to do, in
case I really reach a point of not being able to ride.  So I think as we get
older, we have to adjust, and I enjoy the type of riding and driving that I
do now, every bit as much as what I did when I was younger. It is just
different, and my horses are different. And I use my brain more regarding
safety to avoid preventable accidents..
Betsy from KS, Reg 6