Re: [RC] LD BC?? - Truman Prevatt

A lot of people come out and try endurance and for whatever reason don't get hooked and don't show up after a season or two. Can you believe it - not everyone loves endurance as a way of life:-). What I am more interested in is the age distribution of the horses in LD's, since the biggest grip I hear is running the legs of a 4 yo. I don't really think there are that many 4 yo's out there (at least in the SE) getting their legs run off in LD's. If you also look at the rides where you have 2-3 hour LD's you normally have 3 - 4 hour 50's.

Truman

Stephanie E Caldwell wrote:
Truman, Donna, etc...

I'm in the SE and trying to pick my first LD, I think the horse is ready and we *finally* have at least one saddle that fits. So, I started looking at rides here and ride results for the past 5 years, as I don't want to go to a reallyy big ride for my first. I noticed that many of the same *people* were placing first in the LDs with 2 - 3 hour times, but the horses changed from year to year. So, that got me interested and I started looking at the horse and rider histories. It seemed like the ones running the raelly fast LDs (and somewhat the fast 50's) kept horses a year or two and then they're no other AERC records. My assumtion was they were lame, that's just an uneducated guess.

As a newbie on a first time ride it scares me to go out there and try to ride the 25, I don't have any idea my horse will handle a ton of riders going a 10 - 13 MPH pace if we're doing a 5 - 8 mph pace. I'm thinking about just trying a 50 in the spring, It really intimidates me to go try to ride a ride like that. Seems like alot of the really fast 25s had more pulls than the 50s and/or 100s that were run on the same day, and it seems like the times in the last three years are faster than they were in 90 - 93, figured I'd pick cooresponding years to compare.

Are there horses out there running fast LDs and competing more than 1 or 2 years?

Steph