Re: [RC] slowing speedy horse - Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

"Should I let her go with the pack/leaders and see how she does? It seems
my
plan of  slowly getting her used to rides isn't working and she uses more
energy having the fit, jigging, sweating, tossing her head, etc than she
would just
going out at speed."

Please don't just let her go.  I know it's using more energy holding her
back, but there are more factors to be considered than energy usage, and
excited, ambitious, relatively inexperienced horses are *very* good at
writing checks their bodies can't cash.  It'll be the ligaments, joints,
tendons and kidneys that end up paying the price and some of those mistakes
can't be undone.

I truly feel for you and the frustration trying to hold her back, but do try
other alternatives.  Cato used to do the same thing until we took some time
off for dressage schooling and the deal was that we went down the trail in a
straight line if and only if he did it at MY speed.  Otherwise, he got to go
in circles.  Pick a ride where you know the trails are nice and wide for
manuevering room and don't even plan on finishing within time
limits---assume that you're out there to spend the day going in circles and
that your determination to ride sensibly is stronger than your horse's
determination to be a runaway train.  Then, if your horse actually does come
around and you get to complete, then wahoo, it's a bonus.

Good luck!

Susan G