[RC] slowing speedy horse - Nina Vasiliev

Hi,

You wrote:
"Should I let her go with the pack/leaders and see how she does? It seems my plan of
slowly getting her used to rides isn't working and she uses more energy
having the fit, jigging, sweating, tossing her head, etc than she would just
going out at speed."

If a horse is not listening to you when you want to go slowly, that horse is not ready to be allowed to go fast. I know that it may seem easier to allow her to move out, but she is not emotionally ready even if she is physically.

Her mind is more important than anything else.

It is really pleasant to be able to ride a horse who understands that when you're on her back, she does what you ask. You have all ready felt that during your training rides and during the last 35 miles of your 50s. It's fun, but most of all, it's safer. I used to train with a women who had a great horse who wanted to go fast but she could rate him. Then she decided it was too much work to "hold him back." People told her that if she just let him go he would figure it out himself when he ran until he was tired. Now she has dropped out of endurance because she "ruined" him. He is so much work on the trail that she is not having any fun.

The advice about turns, lateral flexion, etc is really good. Even tho she doesn't need it on training rides, practice it then. The fastest way to train, is to take the time it takes. Use this year to train her. She'll be great next year. You'll even be able to let her go fast AND she'll slow down when you ask quietly. Just set your mind to expect that you'll have to really work on this each time she's not listening, even if that's during an endurance ride. Don't get frustrated. Expect that it'll take one hundred reminders per ride. That way when it only takes 80, you'll see progress rather than thinking she's a handful. Then it'll take only 40 times. Then 10... Wow, progress!

It is really a pleasure to work with a horse that you've trained to be responsive. Something of which to be proud! My horse used to be green, as was I. And I loved him dearly. But now that he's trained and I can ride him in a rope halter EVEN at the start of a ride, I am so glad that others opened my eyes to training his mind. He is soooo fun for me. I love being with him.

Get help if you need it. But be picky about from whom you ask for advice.

Take the time to train her.

It is so worth it.

Nina