Re: [RC] This Joy You Feel Is Life - Maggie Mieske

Lisa,
How true....everything you said.  I like the part
Take the extra time to do it, because you can.
When people ask me WHY would I want to ride endurance???  50 miles?  100 miles?  Even 25 miles seems silly to them (unless there's a beer pit stop every 5 miles).  And, you don't GET anything from it?  You don't win MONEY?  You don't win FAME?   I guess that IS why...because I CAN and if I CAN'T, then I want to try until I CAN!!  (If I had not completed last weekend, I would have done it again and again until I had...I know that about myself now....I also know the obsession is deepening as I am already looking for another 100 later this season and maybe a cohort to ride with me!!!  Hey Jinnifer Plummer!!!!  Are you game for Spook Run???)
Anyway, I like seeing the word JOY in connection with our sport.  I know I have heard Dane Frazier use it many times when giving his pre ride speech.  I DO feel JOY when I am riding my horse...at home or in competition.
Nelson and I were just talking yesterday about it... how I feel such an obsession (it's getting BAD!) and why I feel that way.  Over the years I have enjoyed many sports...softball, volleyball, a little basketball with my nephews, even bowled on a league...but I never excelled at any of those.  In this sport, ANYONE can excel!!!  When I am on Malik, my physical limitations all but melt away.  He makes me more than I am and I hope that I make him more than he is and together as a team we CAN win, even if it is only to FINISH!  :)  And I do believe we will have our share of real "winning", maybe not in firsts but he certainly is the kind of horse that is capable of winning BC and that is more important to me than first anyway.  Endurance is not only a physical sport... it requires strategy and timing and knowing your horse and everything that goes with it...good nutrition, good shoeing, adequate conditioning.  The fact that I am short and fat and a heavyweight does not affect those things at all.  Endurance requires a good portion of MENTAL with the physical (and that CAN be taken in more ways than one!).  Anyway, I think everyone gets my drift.  There was so much more I wanted to put into my ride story that was actually more serious.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity here to do it, Lisa!!!
Now if I could just find time for that drooling on the pillow kind of nap!!  :)
Maggie