[RC] [Guest] saddle fit - Ridecamp Guest

Belinda Romanuski bjromanuski@xxxxxx

I know this is a subject that has been rehashed quite a bit.  I have just
read through alot of the archives.  But if I may I would like to ask for any
advice anyone may give.  I have a 20+ year old Standardbred.  When I bought
him last year, he had two white spots on the side of his withers.  I assumed
it was due to an old sore from a harness from his years as a trotter on the
track.  Before I bought him he had been used at a riding stable as a Hack
horse, which meant long hours under saddle for 6 out of 7 days.  He has
never given me trouble during saddling, nor has he ever refused to move out
when being ridden.  We usually ride for 3-4 hours.  This year I have noticed
dry spots where the white hairs are.  He has put on a bit of weight.  I rode
last year with an English patrol saddleand used a merino sheepskin pad.
This year I have tried three different saddles, two of them Western with
full QH bars.  I used a wool felt pad with the western saddles.
I am searching for a saddle to fit him better, but do not want to invest in
a custom fit because of his age.  But I would like him to be comfortable.
Although he does not even exhibit any tail swishing during a ride. I do not
want to go with a treeless saddle because I weigh 170lbs.  I have looked at
BigHorn and at the Tucker saddles.  Any advice or opinions would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank-you
Belinda