[RC] Arabian S hacks-heads up - firedancefarms

Hi all,
Having gone from snaffle to various sidepulls, I am now a convert of Arabian
S hacks.  BUT please, if you use them, consider making a few adjustments.  I
had forgotten we had done this to my daughter's S hack, and when I bought a
new one I couldn't figure out why my horse was so unhappy..running out of
stops..not minding...holding his head too high.  I had immediately changed
the chain it comes with to a flat chain (which will be changed to a curb
strap in biothane) but I had forgotten to CUT THE WIRE.  Now, don't just cut
the wire off, as the hack will not work without a stablizer but replace it
with something else..softer and LONGER...two inches longer.  I use insulated
electrical wiring.  You can braid it back on itself (keep tying those slip
knots) and even color cordinate it with the bridle!  The wire not only cuts
under the chin of the horse, but it is too short, which causes the shanks to
dig in to the cheek and make terrible rubs.
Hope this helps someone to have a happier horse!

And yes, I, too was at a ride, FINALLY.  Jo Tate Memorial was great.  Sunday
(day 2) it was actually COLD and the horses loved it!  My new trainee,
Varykino, did his first 50 and tied for high vet score!  I received the best
compliment one can get by the vet at a ride "he is trotting better at the
end of the hour than he has at any of the vet checks!"
And better yet, he wants to go right out again today!
Wishing everyone else wonderful rides as well!

Louise
Louise Burton
Firedance Farms Endurance Arabians
Oklahoma