Re: [RC] [RC] Neversweats 25 Mile May 17 (Part 3) - Laurie Durgin

Sheepskin might make a great saddlepad if it's tanned right(vegetable. Why waste it in the house? Half for him and half for you a saddle cover :} Laurie and Rascal

From: "Aaron & Crysta Turnage" <AJandCrysta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Neversweats 25 Mile May 17 (Part 3)
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:51:32 -0700

Since we had an hour hold at this point (20 miles) I walked him back to the
trailer to untack. He drank a BUNCH of water (he always does) and dove into
his beet pulp mash (soaked Manna Equine Senior w/ electrolytes). I made
myself a sandwich and let him eat. When he was done with his mash, I took
him over to get vetted. He received all A?s except for a B on capillary
refills and his pulse after his CRI was 40! Wow! This horse is doing
awesome!

We went back to the trailer and hung out until I thought it was time to go.
I saddled up and walked over to the Out Timer to discover I had hit it right
on the nose and it was exactly time for me to leave. So I got on and
started on the orange 5 mile loop. This loop was REALLY rock, lots of loose
shale and big river rock in a dried out wash. Sinatra and I were taking it
slow and easy (he was doing his ?slug horse? walk) and the couple who was
behind us right before the first vet check came up. I followed them for
about 3 of the 5 miles and then trotted towards the finish as they walked
their horses in. Again, Sinatra was just happily cruising along on a loose
rein, choosing his pace, at a nice 100 bpm on the heart monitor. Suddenly,
about 100 yards from the finish line?. There was a HORSE-EATING DONKEY!!!
At least Sinatra thought so. He stopped, snorted and then plowed through
the sagebrush in an effort to get away from the donkey, who was calmly
standing by the fence on the OTHER side of the road! Silly horse! Oh well,
there went my low heart rate and two finishing positions as Sinatra shot up
to 130 on the monitor and took a little while to settle down. He finally
pulsed in at 54 about 3 minutes after the donkey episode, still a very fair
recovery. But the couple ended up passing me at the finish and I was 8th
out of 11th.

I took Sinatra back to the trailer and gave him some carrots and an apple.
I untacked and sponged him off. We then walked back to get our completion
check. He was all A?s this time with a CRI of 40 again. I was so proud of
my guy! He did AWESOME this ride! I weighed him after the ride and he only
lost 9 pounds! From 833 to 824, he stands about 14.3 with his shoes on. =)

At the awards that night, I was absolutely thrilled to learn that we won the
Horse of Excellence Award!!! It?s a beautiful sheepskin rug (the kind with
the really long fleece). My 10 month old son loves to lay on it but I have
it on the back of our sofa so he can?t get it too dirty. My thanks to Ride
Manager Rosalee Bradley and all the volunteers and sponsors for this ride.
EVERY rider in the top-10 for every ride that weekend got their choice of a
nice prize and top finishers in their weight division also got a bottle of
fly spray (I was also top Featherweight). The food and hospitality were
absolutely fantastic and very much appreciated! I will definitely be back
next year, hopefully to ride the 55!

(to be continued)