Re: [RC] Spinal tap/dilemia/Rascal - Stephanie E Caldwell

Heidi,

Not at all amazing, considering that EPM is an opportunistic disease--it
has
to have either damaged tissue or a weak immune system to get a foothold,
so
there is almost always some sort of lesion existing in the spinal cord
prior
to its onset.  And fast-growing breeds that are pushed for early
performance
(and hence have higher rates of Wobbler Syndrome, etc.) are therefore more
prone to it.  Paints also have a very high incidence.

Like I said, it's been two years (thankfully!!!) since I've had to deal with
EPM. I am now working on a year and two months with a fully sound horse, but
I've always wondered what gives animals lessions in their spine? Why do
lessions come up? I've done some research, but I'm scientifically
challenged, can someone give me the simple version?

Also, I don't share Truman's confidence that EPM and an injury can always
be
distinguished by neurological symptoms alone.  EPM can be extremely
variable, depending on where along the cord the organism is attacking, and
injuries can also be quite unique in their presentations.  Separating the
two on clinical presentation is always an educated guess at best, but the
educated guess may be as far as you want to go, given economics or other
factors.<<

When my horse was being treated with EPM the vet felt like the lessions were
affecting her rear. She has intermittent right hind lameness, nothing up
front. A horse we boarded with was extremely lame in both forelegs and he
was diagnosed with EPM, also. With the other horse he sat way back on his
heels, there was probably 3" between his toes and the ground when he was at
his worst.

Regarding Stephanie's comments about spinal taps--I just went through two
in
late April.  And it turned out that I had bacterial meningitis, which could
have become life-threatening had I not had the first one done, and if we had
simply fiddled around trying to control the excruciating pain, assuming it
was the flu--which would have been the most common situation to fit my
symptoms.  >> I still have a stiff
back, but it beats being dead, and it's improving daily.  I'm not real keen
on the procedure--but never say never, because there is a time and a place
for every diagnostic procedure.

Well... My doctors are trying to push me into one for me. And, I'll do it if
necessary, but I'd probably never let my horse go through one. Good luck on
your back healing, anything spinal can be tough. Although, a little trick
I've learned in the last few months with my joint/spinal issues is that
sleeping on sheepskin makes all the difference in the world. It's tons
softer and supports the spine, sheepskins over a down featherbed make my
back comfortable enough to sleep through the night. I've gotten desperate a
few times and slept on clean wool saddlepads, too. LOL

Steph