Re: [RC] Spinal tap/dilemia/Rascal - Stephanie E Caldwell

Truman,

It has been estimated that 65% of the horses in the Southeastern US will
have a positive blood test for EPM. Clearly 65% of the horses in the SE
don't have EPM.

Gluck research center (@ Univ Kentucky) had a map of the exact percentages
in each state that they'd tested, along with the percent diagnosed with
spinal tap's in each state. Amazingly, EPM strikes TB and Standardbred most
often, or it did 2 years ago when I went through this. It was very rare in
drafts and heavy ponies.

The neurological responses will to be slightly different for each of the
three. I would find a good vet who has a lot of experience with
neurological conditions to examine the horse before I went any further -
that is unless it is even remotely suspected to be WN and if it is start
treatment asap.

I have no experience with WNV, but EPM tends to do more intermittent nuero
problems and lameness than a spinal injury. From a people standpoint, I've
had both spinal injury and now suspected lessions on my spine. EPM is just
lessions on the spine, it was explained to me as being MS in horses. My
spinal injury causes me the same problems every day, my lessions give me
intermittent issues that are harder to pinpoint and correct.

Something I'm not sure if it's been researched in horses, but it's been
looked at in people, dogs, and cats is that with any lessions in the spinal
column it causes the nerves to kind of shortout and it causes some pretty
massive cramping, especially around teh spine. It also causes alot of
neuropathic pain in the affected limbs. I would be very hesitant to compete
a horse who has true lessions on it's spine knowing how bad I hurt with my
lessions!

Steph