[RC] Spinal tap/dilemia/Rascal - Laurie Durgin

I was about to order the drugs--but my daughter /her trainers and others have me wondering. I 'm sort of poised on a cliff. Enough people said are you sure your vet is competent. My farrier says he is good at sewing stuff up and average stuff, but if I ever have a real lamness problem etc. I should callhis older wiser vet. My Daughter n her trainers (who also raise horses think I should hold off on the Marquis because something else mimics the disease and if I give Marquis it could kill him. (He is presently on the sulfa, anti-malarial type drugs, have enough for a week, the 90 day treatment.)Also they don't agree that you can't get an uncontaiminated tap. My vet said ti would be 350$, but said it was /hard to get uncontaiminated. Trainer said she got a tap at U. of Athens 6 mos. ago for 150$. But that is a 2-3 hour trailer distance one way.His right rear is wobbly, like he circleshis leg or it's disconnected . Not every step, but he isn't his surefooted self at all. I'm not sure a long trailer ride would be good. . .
I have read of horses not given anti inflamitories when they needed it .Of giving shots and ivermectin/quest and them crashing. And many think there may be an ulcer link.(that may be how the protozoa cross the blood/brain barrier.)
So my daughter wants me to wait till she contacts her vets and see if what they recoommend. (They are the vets for the A circut around her .Seems the diagnosis is clinical symptoms polus spinal tap at end? and response to drugs.So you may not really know for sure? And i've heard of lots of mistakedn diagnosis.
I guess it is because I really am not 100% comfident in my vet. My farrier told me of a mistake he made years ago.(but doesn't everyone?)
Well back to the net to do more research. . . . Unfortunately I have had bad experience wtih Doctors being wrong or withholding info. So I am skeptical anyway. Laurie and Rascal