Re: [RC] Bush Administration Policy on Wilderness - Heidi Smith

New York Times, Editorial/Op-Ed, May 4, 2003

My feelings about this are not mixed at all.  I for one would like to say a resounding "HALLELUJAH" to Interior Secretary Norton's approach to wilderness.  The whole "wilderness" concept is one of those "feel-good" topics to folks who like the concept of having some wonderful nature out there, but who don't have a clue what a million acres of unmanaged land looks like.  If you think you can enjoy the wilderness for recreational purposes, think again.  How do you plan to GET there?  You can't take your horse trailer in there--no roads.  So you are limited to what you can ride across in a reasonable amount of time--another issue that is severely limited because you can't maintain trails with anything but hand equipment.  The rich few who can afford to hire packers and guides for extended periods of time can enjoy bits of it--but not very much of it.  And as for being enjoyable--don't expect to see much in the way of wildlife there, since the "old growth" forests (read forests at the end of their life span--in essence forest nursing homes minus the nursing care, because no one can get in to take care of much of anything) don't grow much in the way of browse or forage for wildlife to eat.  What wilderness is REALLY good for is fuel for fire.  Because of the lack of management, ladder fuels build up as trees die, and conflagrations such as we saw in Idaho and Montana in 2000 are the result.  We're not talking about those nice, quick fires that go through and clean things out--we're talking about fires that burn so hot because there is so much fuel that they sterilize the soil so that nothing will grow for decades.  There are still areas in northern Idaho like this that can be seen from similar fires in the early 1900's--almost a century ago.  I've flown over some of these areas here in Idaho--and three years later, there is not even a blade of grass in many of the areas that were burned.

I'm all for managing remote areas so that they remain that way--but the hands-off policy of the "Wilderness-with-a-capital-W" designation is one of the most damning things that can happen to a large tract of land.  The most beautiful areas of our state are those that have been managed with common sense so that there is a sustained timber yield, some allowance for recreation, some allowance for grazing (which also helps to control fuels), some allowance for hunting, etc.  And a forest road going through the area every several miles doesn't hurt a thing, either.

If you live in an area without a lot of federal land, it is truly difficult to realize what a burden these wilderness tracts that count their acreages in the millions put on BOTH the environment AND the local economy.  We already have agencies such as the USFS and the BLM in place to manage such lands in the public interest--and Congress needs to let them manage, instead of locking lands away, only to be consumed by devastating fires every 40 years or so.

So BRAVO to Secretary Norton and to the current administration on this issue--it's about time we had some common sense on this issue from the federal government.  Good environmentalism means good stewardship--not locking land up and throwing away the key.

Heidi