Re: [RC] [RC] trivia/100/Biltmore - Stagg_Newman

Laurie,

What you proposing to do at the ride and are doing in training should
really help the horse.

Many rides to not give you a indication of how far you are to the check.
At Biltmore this
was not necessary as all checks were at base camp and you could clearly see
the
camp from well away.

While I did not walk in the last half mile, I did slow the pace of the trot
coming in the
last half mile to mile and I do jog beside the horse for the last couple of
hundred yards.
[Further when I was younger but  :>)  ]

Best of luck on your first slow ride.  That's the way to start.  Jayel
Super did several
competitive trail rides before his first endurance ride.  And in his first
50 we were
near the end of the pack.  In his first 100 we were at the end of the pack
at the 50 mile
point and just kept the same pace and he finished about 13th out of around
50 starters.
Steady and slow can pay off.

Good luck!

Stagg

                    "Laurie

                    Durgin"             To:     Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
rides2far@xxxxxxxx,
                    <ladurgin@ms        ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                    n.com>              cc:

                    05/12/2003          Subject:     Re: [RC]
trivia/100/Biltmore
                    08:00 PM

Speaking of slowing down, what percentage of riders, get off, loosen their
tack and walk, oh, say the last 1/2 mile? Wondering ,since I do it in all
my
training rides, to hopefully teach him to relax and slow his heart rate.And

do most ride managers mark some distance before the vet check as a signal
the riders? At Talladeaga they did ," vet check ahead ,so much
distance."And
/ or would feeding him some hay/goodies be good at that time for gut
sounds>I am hoping to walk in and go right to VC.(on my sloooow first ride.

Laurie and Rascal

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.