Re: [RC] The upside of bungees and Bunny - Jennifer Thompson

I also have used the Leader for many years (and Bette, I know Tom Ferguson too! He was my farrier for years!).

It was the only thing that worked in getting my mare to stop setting back and breaking lead lines.

I have never had one break, except when Tom was developing his first prototypes and I was a ginea pig - about 11 or 12 years ago. He changed the materials, and not one has broken since.

Jennifer

Bette Lamore wrote:

I use the Leader lead line and have never had a problem with them. My friend knows the inventor--- interestingly enough he is Michael McDonald's brother (for those of you ex-hippie Doobie Bros fans). Recently they were invited to meet the Queen where she wanted to thank them for introducing them to her stable master (through a contact with Montie Roberts). She is evidently quite taken with them.
Gloria didn't get to go the first time, but they promised her she could when they go back with a new Snap line---- inside info-- the new color will not be black but rather a very pretty white and gold weave.
I've used them for my hot walkers and have had terrific success----- easy way to teach a rambunctious youngster to lead (without yanking out my shoulder at times :-) )
Also use them for trailer ties and once I get the horse close enough to stretch and get the snap on him, I can just relax and watch the horse load himself--- no fights-- just patience and he feels that gentle pull with instant release when he moves forward. That is the easiest way for me to load a horse who knows better and is just being stubborn when I am by myself.
Have never heard of them breaking--- the worst that has happened is that the elasticity has gone after years of being pulled around in the sun in Paso Robles (very hot) and only bad batches ever stretched-- I still have some of my original one (and no, I don't sell them nor get a commission-- just want to pass on some info that might help.
Bette and Bunny, who today for the first time was able to feel confident enough about standing on three legs to pick up his hind feet for the farrier (where was that sling when we needed it--- whew-- what a process!)

Kristi Schaaf wrote:

I know there are lots of bungee users out there, but
please be careful. My friend had her wrist severely
damaged when her horse pulled back while tied at the
trailer. His 'made for horses' bungee tie broke at the
snap attached to his halter. The bungee and broken
snap flew back like a sling-shot mini cannonball
straight at her and would have hit her in the forehead
if she hadn't gotten her hand up and in the way in
time. So if you use bungees, don't ever stand where a
recoiling one's hardware can hit you. And what if the
snap hooked to the trailer would have snapped instead?
Would that have recoiled to hit her horse in the face?
Kristi
=====